Not revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination, but this a quick dish that uses mainly store cupboard ingredients but can use up leftover meats and vegetables.
This is a recipe that my mum used to make for weekend lunches occasionally, I guess really it’s just a tarted up cheese on toast but it’s great for kids and adults alike.
~ makes 4 pizza toasts.
- 4 slices of sandwich bread, toasted
- Cheese sliced (everyone likes different amount of cheese I used 8 (1 by 3 inch) slices
- 4 tablespoons of Tomato Puree
- 1 teaspoon of italian herbs
- Leftover meet and vegetables. I used red peppers, mushrooms, rocket and rosemary, but olives, cooked bacon, cooked chicken, ham and any number of other ingredients would work great.
Grill your veg, and heat through any meat (if necessary). I chunked my red peppers into large dice and sliced my mushrooms, placing them on a hot grill for around 6 minutes turning half way.
While the vegetables are cooking in a small bowl or ramekin mix the tomato puree with a couple of tablespoons of water, and the italian herbs. Mix into a smooth paste, adding more water if needed.
Spread the tomato puree over each slice of toast. Top with sliced cheese. I used rosemary as an extra herb on my toasts, pulling off tiny strands and placing them on top of the cheese.
Once the vegetables are done place them on top of the toasts, and grill under a medium heat until the cheese starts to bubble. Remove from the grill and plate, topping with some fresh rocket.
Great for a busy Saturday lunch.