On Tuesday nights I try to use up any leftovers I have from the weekend, this week I had a tub of Broccoli pesto to finish off from Sunday nights burgers. On the way home I tried to pull together the different strands to make a proper meal. Chicken is always good – especially with pasta, but the one thing that was missing was the kick.
Broccoli Pesto is subtle and creamy, I don’t want to overpower the pesto but also didn’t want the pesto to be the only flavour in the dish. This is where the light chilli coating on the chicken comes in, it gives enough of a bite without drowning out the pesto.
Chilli Chicken with Mushrooms and Broccoli Pesto
– Serves 2.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 batch of broccoli pesto
- 1/2 onion diced finely
- 1 tsp of garlic or 1 garlic clove
- 8 small mushrooms sliced
- 200 grams of pasta, cooked as per instructions (use whatever amount you normally would for two people)
- Add the olive oil, chilli powder and cornflour to a bowl and mix. Place the chicken breasts in the bowl and make sure they are completely covered in the mixture. Grill until cooked through, the timing will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts, but should be at least 10 minutes. Turn half way through.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the pasta as per the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a pan add a little cooking spray, the onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook under a low heat, until the onion starts to become transparent. Set aside, and keep warm.
- In a clean pan (I reused the one for the vegetables) and the pesto depending on its thickeness you may want to add a little extra olive oil or water. Stir under a low heat till warmed through, at least 5 minutes. Reserve a little of the pesto to top the chicken in a separate bowl.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pesto, and make sure the pasta is warmed before plating up.
- Top the pasta with the vegetables, then place the chicken breast and lastly drizzle the remaining pesto on the chicken.